Hosted by Tavistock Library and supported by Tavistock Heritage Trust as part of ‘Tavistock’s 1st Gothic and Neo-Gothic Celebration – Literature, Art, Architecture, Theatre, Film and Creative Fun.’
From Saturday the 12th of October and culminating in a market and author event on Saturday the 19th of October 2019.
This new celebration aims to encompass writing, film, drama and art activities. There will be a Gothic market for writers and traders to showcase their work and a range of related creative events.
Theme: A poem in the gothic tradition incorporating folklore and myth.
Prizes: A cash prize will be offered to the overall winner 30% of all entry receipts will form the prize fund. There will also be a second prize of 30% of all the entry fees awarded to a ‘Gothic’ poem based around Tavistock and incorporating its Gothic and Neo-Gothic Heritage. Additional runners-up prizes of books will also be awarded. The prize winners will be notified approximately two weeks prior to the prize giving. The remaining 40% of the entry fees will be used for administration costs and for festival and library events.
Presentation of the Prizes: The results will be announced, and the prizes presented at a special event.
Judging: The judging will be in two stages: a final short list of poems will be judged by a panel of librarians, authors and publishers. Shortlisted entries will be ranked by a final judging panel.
Tips: The judges will be looking for interesting and original poems.
Publication: Depending on the number and quality of the entries received a
Entry Rules: A Gothic Poetry Writing Competition
For anyone over the age of 18
Rules and Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be in English, original and not previously published in any form or broadcast, and no longer than 250 words excluding the title.
- Closing date: May 31st, 2019.
- Results: Available to the public from the 12th of October 2019.
- Entry fees: Adults – £2 for first entry, £1 for second or subsequent entry. If you intend to submit multiple entries, please submit all entries together.
- No manuscripts will be retained so contestants must keep a copy of their work.
- Copyright remains with the author.
- If acknowledgement of receipt is required, please include a stamped and addressed postcard. All emailed entries will receive a receipt when their entry fee is received.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- In accordance with the 2018 European Union General Data Protection Regulation Act (EU GDPR) your information will not be kept on a data base or used for marketing purposes and we will only contact you to tell you if you have won the competition and when all the logos will be on display.Entries must be typewritten or word-processed on single-sided A4 paper, in 12-point typeface, spacing and number of lines to be decided by the entrant. Each page must carry the name of the story in the header or footer and pages must be numbered. Do not put your name on the story pages. Please attach a cover sheet with your name, address, telephone and if possible your e-mail contact details, title of your story, and word count. Entries may be emailed to email@example.com
and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or delivered by hand or by post to Go Gothic – Poetry Competition to Tavistock Library, The Quay, Plymouth Road, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 8HF, UK.
- Please include your payment by cheque (in sterling) made payable to The Friends of Tavistock Library or BACS Transfer: Account name: Friends of Tavistock Library, Account number: 32152922, Sort code: 602149.
- Payment may also be made in cash at Tavistock Library.
- Entry to the competition implies acceptance of the rules. Entries may be delivered by hand or by post to Go Gothic – Poetry Competition