Go Gothic- Monologue Writing Competition
Hosted by Tavistock Library and supported by Tavistock Heritage Trust as part of ‘Tavistock’s 1st Gothic and Neo-Gothic Celebration of Literature, Art, Architecture, Theatre, Film and Creative Fun.’
From Saturday the 12th of October and culminating in a market and author event on Saturday the 19th of October 2019.
This new celebration aims to encompass writing, film, drama and art activities. There will be a Gothic market for writers and traders to showcase their work, and a range of related events such as a Gothic (including Steam punk) style sculpture garden.
Theme: A monologue in the gothic tradition based on ‘real’ or ‘fictional’ characters.
Prizes: A cash prize will be offered to the overall winner 30% of all entry receipts will form the prize fund. There will also be a second prize of 30% of all the entry fees awarded to a ‘Gothic’ monologue based on a character taken from Tavistock’s Gothic and Neo-Gothic Heritage including its myths and legends. A selection of the monologues will be read at an event during the celebration by local actors and actresses. The prize winners will be notified approximately two weeks prior to the prize giving. The remaining 40% of the entry fees will be used for administration costs and for festival and library events.
Presentation of the Prizes: The results will be announced, and the prizes presented at an event during the celebration.
Judging: The judging will be in two stages: a final short list of monologues will be judged by a panel of librarians, authors, actors and actresses. Shortlisted entries will be ranked by a final judging panel.
Tips: The judges will be looking for interesting and engaging monologues.
Performance: A selection of monologues will be read (performed for) to an audience during the Festival.
A Monologue Writing Competition
Anyone over the age of 18
Rules and Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be in English, original and not previously published or performed in any form or broadcast and must take no longer than 5 minutes to perform.
- Closing date: May 31st
- Results: Available to the public from the 12th of October 2019.
- Entries must be typewritten or word-processed on single-sided A4 paper, in 12-point typeface, double (or 1.5 times) spaced. Each page must carry the name of the story in the header or footer and pages must be numbered. Do not put your name on the story pages. Please attach a cover sheet with your name, address, telephone and if possible your e-mail contact details, title of your story, and word count. Entries may be emailed to
email@example.com and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org Entries may be delivered by hand or by post to Go Gothic – Flash Fiction Competition to Tavistock Library, The Quay, Plymouth Road, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 8HF, England. Please include your payment by cheque (in sterling) made payable to The Friends of Tavistock Library or BACS Transfer: Account name: Friends of Tavistock Library, Account number: 32152922, Sort code: 602149. Payment may also be made in cash at Tavistock Library.
- Entry fees: Adults – £3 for first entry, £2 for second or subsequent entry. If you intend to submit multiple entries, please submit all entries together.
- No manuscripts will be retained so contestants must keep a copy of their work.
- Copyright remains with the author.
- If acknowledgement of receipt is required, please include a stamped and addressed postcard.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- In accordance with the 2018 European Union General Data Protection Regulation Act (EU GDPR) your information will not be kept on a data base or used for marketing purposes and we will only contact you to tell you if you have won the competition and when all the logos will be on display.
- Entry to the competition implies acceptance of the rules.